So the API endpoint to lock an issue absolutely does not require
comments on each thing. I think the idea is probably that it's easier
to understand that this was an automated process doing this rather
than being used in the vein of GitHub's moderation (which doesn't
account for anything other than abuse).

For those who are interested, the lock API is
https://developer.github.com/v3/issues/#lock-an-issue