On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 01:52, Michael <aixto...@felt.demon.nl> wrote:
> The PEP speaks about ``distutils.util.get_platform()`` and for AIX - this is
> broken. Noone (who loves AIX) has looked at it since 2007 (at least) when the
> rules changed, and perhaps since 1999 (or there abouts) when 64-bit support
> first appeared (in AIX 4.3).
>
> whether Python 2.7, or Python 3.9 ('master') the value is the same:
> root@x066:[/data/prj/python/python3-3.9]./python
> Python 3.9.0a0 (heads/pr_13772-dirty:66db707bb0, Aug 12 2019, 18:55:33) [C]
> on aix
> 'aix-6.1'
> >>>

> So, focusing on the "Platform Tag" - that needs to include more than what
> uname -a provides - the tag needs to provide the oslevel TL and SP
> (Technology Level, Service Pack) as well as whether it is 32 or 64 bit.
> 32-bit is still the most common "packaging" for AIX, but it needs to be
> specified - imho.
>
> I am guessing - that would be a PR for CPython - to get that into distutils.

Not really, since the platform tag generation needs to work on older
Python versions.

Instead, you'll want to define a new algorithm for deriving the
platform tag on AIX that can be referenced from
https://packaging.python.org/specifications/platform-compatibility-tags/

You shouldn't have the same challenges that manylinux did when it
comes to determining a suitable build environment, though - IBM are
already doing that work for AIX, just as MS do it for Windows, and
Apple do it for Mac OS X.

What you may need to constrain is the compiler and libc versions to
specifically be the platform ones.