On 2020-01-15 10:33, Marco Favero wrote:
Hello,

   recently I started to develop a tool in python.
I discovered pip and setuptool with setup.py. It's fantastic! I can provide
packaging  to pypi and to rpm all in a row.
I follow these guidelines:
-
https://packaging.python.org/tutorials/packaging-projects/#generating-distribution-archives
- https://docs.python.org/3/distutils/builtdist.html?highlight=rpm
- https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Python/

With %{?python_enable_dependency_generator} the RPM provides the dependecies
itself. Fantastic!

But how to force the developers to use consistent names? :D

For instance these python-magic and redis client packages:

   https://pypi.org/project/python-magic
   https://pypi.org/project/redis/

use names which conflict with already existent rpm packages names. In particular, "redis" in rpm is
the name of the Redis server package! If I make "bdist_rpm" of python Redis client and I "yum
install" the package I damage my system deleting the Redis server!
The Redis client developer says that he can't change the name because this will
break existent installations:
https://github.com/andymccurdy/redis-py/pull/385

I think this is not a good situation. Python environment should help to improve an
"inconsistent" setup.

As a result, I have to make bdist_rpm of the dependencies, then I have to
install the source rpm, change the name in SPEC file and rebuild the rpm
package. In my package I can't use %{?python_enable_dependency_generator},
because it uses the fault pypi names, I have to provide them myself. :(

Thank you for reading this noise
Have a fantastic python day

Hi!

PyPI and distro repositories are different namespaces. They contain different packages (Python packages vs. distro-maintained ones in any language). They're governed by different people and different guidelines. The packages are often maintained by different people (developers vs. distro maintainers). It would be great if the names for similar things were similar across namespaces, but it's not feasible to always be in sync.

To solve this issue, Fedora uses virtual provides. A RPM with a package from PyPI should provide:

    python3.7dist(<name on PiPI>) = <version>

... and any packages can depend on that. That's what the Python dependency generator uses; the names of RPMs are not relevant. For the name of the RPM, it's conventional to use "python3-<name on PYPI>", but you can use something else to prevent conflicts.

The bdist_rpm command is unlikely to be improved. It will give you a RPM that can probably be installed, but doesn't really conform to any distro guidelines. It's also part of setuptools, which is quite hard to work on and is being slowly deprecated.

You could try pyp2rpm ( https://github.com/fedora-python/pyp2rpm ), which generates a spec file that you can then edit.