Steve Jorgensen wrote:
> Ian Stapleton Cordasco wrote:
> > Forgive me if I'm missing something but doesn't
> > license-file provides this
> > functionality (see https://stackoverflow.com/a/48691876) for
> > an example.
> > I surmise not enough people use it although it's readily available?
> > Apparently, it was me who was missing something. It looks like many or
> > possibly
> most of the packages we are using actually do contain license files. I guess
> I originally
> thought that none did because the first couple of packages that I inspected
> when
> originally setting up our process did not.

Looking at the files installed for Django 2.2.10 as an example, I see that
there is a LICENSE.txt file in the Django-2.2.10.dist-info directory, but there
is no metadata in the installation indicating that it is the license file. The
setup.cfg file in the Django source code repo does not include a `license_files
=` entry.

Looking at psycopg2 2.8.4 as another example, there is a LICENSE file in the
psycopg2-2.8.4.dist-info directory, but again there is no metadata indicating
that this is the license file. In the source code repository for psycopg2,
there is a `license_file = LICENSE` entry in setup.cfg (supposed to be
`license_files =` ?) but there is nothing in the distribution to reflect that.

I suppose for packages like these that do include license files, I can look for
files named things like LICENSE.*, COPYING.*, etc. but it would be nice if
there was something in the metadata for the installed package that specifically
points to the license file(s).