In case you want a broader view of what the team's been doing, we posted a midyear report on the Python Software Foundation blog: https://pyfound.blogspot.com/2020/07/pip-team-midyear-report.html

Also, I'd love input from y'all on this question on performance for the new resolver https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/8664 : what level of performance is acceptable for pip, and are we there yet?

Our new dependency resolver may make pip a bit slower than it used to be.

[Later data shows: yeah.]

Therefore I believe we need to pull together some extremely rough speed tests
and decide what level of speed is acceptable, then build some automated testing
to check whether we are meeting those marks.

Another question arising from that issue: is it appropriate to tell more of our users to use `--no-deps` to speed up performance? I think a lot of our users would benefit from using `--no-deps` for a lot of their use cases, but don't know about it.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Changeset Consulting