If it's not already the case, could someone configure the list so that only
subscribers can send messages?

If we've already got any obvious anti-spam measures like that in place, then
I'm starting to agree that the signal to noise ratio has fallen too low. Of the
10 latest conversations in the archive, 5 are spam, 2 are people announcing
that they're leaving the list, 2 real questions getting no discussion, and 1
FYI about a discussion happening on Discourse.

Thomas