There’s some discussion on this a while ago on GitHub:
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/8450
<https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/8450>

The problem is likely caused by a corrupt pip installation, and can be resolved
by re-initialising pip with the built-in ensurepip module. Once pip is
recovered, the suggested upgrade command should work as expected.

The comment with a green tick in the thread lists more detailed commands.

TP

--
Tzu-ping Chung (@uranusjr)
uranu...@gmail.com