Gavin,

Having the following in the config correctly enables MUC for me (assuming
<VHost example.com>).

<Plugin DJabberd::Delivery::LocalVHosts>
  AllowVHost conference.example.com
</Plugin>

ChildService conference.example.com MUC GroupChat
<Plugin DJabberd::Plugin::MUC>
  Subdomain conference
</Plugin>

Not entirely sure if all the parts are necessary, but it works!