Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> The response should just return a copy of the
> content when response.content is accessed, which means turning any
> iterator into a proper string.

Ouch.. I thought it already does just that. Yeah, it's a bug then.
Though simple to fix.

> But it *does* require that everybody will have to behave this way. If I
> am writing a piece of middleware I have to assume the worst case, which
> here means that the content is a non-repeatable generator.

Now I understand what you don't like. If we simply make HttpResponse to
replace its source generator with a string upon exhaustion, the problem
will disappear.

But it's another bug. I'm talking here along the lines "why don't we
make GzipMiddleware not read response.content if it doesn't have to".

> It's not something that cannot wait and be
> trialled in various approaches after 1.0

Oh, yes, definitely post-1.0.

> The
> ticket itself already proposes some things that will lead to bugs: for
> example, content-length must *always* be set

I was thinking about it myself... But don't things like Comet work with
infinitely long responses that don't have content length?