On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM, G.Boutsioukis <gboutsiou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm thinking about submitting a proposal for template compilation
> and I'm posting this as a request for more info.
>
> In particular, I remember this project being discussed last year and I
> pretty much assumed that Alex Gaynor's proposal would have been
> accepted(I see he's listed as a mentor this year BTW). What was the
> rationale behind the decision to reject it? Unless, of course, it was
> made on his part.
>
> In any case, any other comment around compatibility, speed or other
> concerns would also be helpful.

As Karen notes, it's wasn't rejected, Alex changed his project.

However, the level of interest for this proposal is still high (at
least, it is for me). The speed of Django's template language is one
of two major reasons often cited as a reason that it should be
avoided. There is also at least one proposal kicking around at the
moment (template-based form widgets) that would benefit directly from
speed improvements in the template language.

The biggest issue I see with this project -- it is hard, and in order
to be accepted as a GSoC student, we need to have reasonable grounds
to believe that you're capable of delivering.

This wasn't a problem for Alex: he has a history of contributing to
Django itself, including delivering the multi-db implementation for
the GSoC the year before. He is also a committer to PyPy, so even if
he didn't have a history of working with the Django community, it's
clear that he knows how Python's bytecode works at a low level (which
is a relevant skill for this project).

Since the proposal has been largely written and is ready to use in
it's current form, you need to find another way to demonstrate that
you can deliver. For example, you could:

  * Write some proof of concept code for the project
  * Get someone known to the Django community to vouch for your skills
  * Solve some non-trivial bug in Django

Best of luck with your application for GSoC!

Yours
Russ Magee %-)