On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 20:08:28 +0200
Ram Rachum <r...@rachum.com> wrote:

> If I understand correctly, you both agree that using "raise from" in
> this context is better than using plain raise, just that the benefits
> are not worth the price of a bulk update to Django. In other words,
> "raise from" is the inevitable future, it's just that we're not in a
> rush to get there.

As Aymeric pointed out, that's inaccurate; If I understood correctly,
Carlton's argument amounted to "it would be better to have the string
produced by `raise from` in the output, but it's not worth the extra
verbosity in exception handling code" -- besides the price of the bulk
update.

> Keep in mind that the thing I care about is not just usage of "raise
> from" in Django, but in any Python package which is relevant.

... and Carlton's argument applies to them all; when also considering:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 17:18:41 +0200
> Ram Rachum <r...@rachum.com> wrote:
>

> > it's very rare to have a legitimate exception
> > without a "raise from" inside an except clause. In almost any
> > context in which "during handling of..." is correct, the raising is
> > done deeper in the stack.

I think the conclusion should be to ask for a change in Python, not
Django. The rule "if an exception is raised explicitly from an except
clause then it is considered raised-from" seems simple enough to me.