On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 20:57:54 +0200
Aymeric Augustin <aymeric.augus...@polytechnique.org> wrote:

> We're talking about a trade-off between preserving optimisations in
> existing code bases and expertise of advanced users versus doing the
> right thing by default for less experienced users.

I disagree.

The suggestion is to make

        if obj in qs:
                # do things which don't fetch qs

more performant, at the expense of

        if obj in qs:
                # do things that fetch qs

As well as

        for obj in container:
                if obj in qs:
                        # whatever

So, it is not a net optimization even in terms of its own.

Also, changing the performance characteristics of thousands, if not
millions of existing lines of code, and making a decade of online
comments and advice wrong (not just obsolete "there's better ways now"
but wrong "this points you away from truth and good"), is IMO a
non-starter.

Strong -1 on Aymeric's option 1. Strong +1 on adding ".contains()".

My 2 cents,
        Shai.