Thank you all for the feedback :) I have a feeling it might indeed be
easier for me to propose this for review in the form of a pull request to
the Django docs, as I have quite a clear idea of what I’d propose at a high
level.

On testing tools, yes, both Pa11y and Lighthouse would be worth
considering. They both use Axe to do the actual checks, which means results
will be largely comparable between Lighthouse, Pa11y, and Accessibility
Insights. I’ve set up automated tests for the Django admin based on Pa11y +
Lighthouse, which you can see here: django_admin_tests
<https://github.com/thibaudcolas/django_admin_tests>. My preference as "the
one tool" to recommend still is Accessibility Insights, as it contains a
good mixture of automated and semi-automated checks, as well as a very
thorough wizard to guide people through manual checks.

> I wanted to check the issue on password UX but maybe I can help on others
things related to this before. Tell me what do you think.

There’s quite a lot of ground to cover, so any and all help is welcome :)
If you’re interested in UX work generally – once we start properly auditing
the Django admin, reporting issues will be straightforward enough, but
proposing solutions will be much harder. Anyone with a good mix of Django
and UX expertise will be in a great position to contribute. For example,
last week I audited django-postgres-metrics
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pegTdRaUDg> and found a few issues
relating to table sorting. Fixing those issues could be an opportunity to
generally improve the table sorting UX for all.

> I am not completely sure about the definition of an "authoring tool",
but it might make sense to consider django as a whole as such an
authoring tool, not just the Django admin. ATAG A. (Make the authoring
tool user interface accessible) would then only apply to Django admin,
but ATAG B. (Support the production of accessible content) would apply
to everything.

Indeed! There are a few things that likely couldn’t apply (Guideline B.3.2:
Assist authors in repairing accessibility problems
<https://www.w3.org/TR/2015/NOTE-IMPLEMENTING-ATAG20-20150924/#gl_b32>) but
they feel like they might be the exception rather than the rule. It’s
certainly a helpful lens to consider accessibility improvements through.

Best regards,

Thibaud