On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 6:26 PM Paolo Melchiorre <pa...@melchiorre.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> I wanted to share the frustration of seeing yet another great new ORM
> feature blocked due to Oracle compatibility:
> https://github.com/django/django/pull/16417
>
> In the past, I too have had to put a lot of effort trying to make a PR
> compatible with Oracle, making the overall contributing experience
> much less pleasant and holding me back from contributing, especially
> in the early days.
>
> Over the last few months, I've tried to encourage newcomers and young
> users to contribute to Django and they almost always ran into the need
> to provide compatibility to Oracle, so much so that they eventually
> gave up contributing.
>
> I stress that I am absolutely not criticizing the contributors (very
> few) in the community who help overcome the difficulties with Oracle.
>
> The point is that I think Oracle is a historical anomaly among the
> database backends supported by Django because it is the only one that
> is not Open Source, it has irrelevant usage numbers (see Django
> Developers Survey 2022 Results
>
> https://lp.jetbrains.com/django-developer-survey-2022/#horizontal-bar-chart-862
> )
> and the company that earns from it does not contribute in any way to
> its maintenance or support (see Carlton Gibson keynote at PyCon Italia
> 2023 https://youtu.be/AHjnGtaWDjU?t=836)
>
> To add to all this we consider that developing for Oracle is much more
> difficult than for the other Open Source databases supported by Django
> and above all the new contributors to the ORM have a frustrating
> experience and therefore they are less and less.
>
> I, therefore, suggest that we start a discussion on removing Oracle
> from supported databases.
>
> Ciao,
> Paolo
> --
> Paolo Melchiorre
>
> https://www.paulox.net

We (Oracle0 would like to improve Oracle support in Django and intend to
contribute. However the PR to add support for the latest Oracle driver is
blocked because debugging information about a test failure isn't available,
and the failure isn't seen by us. If that can be overcome, then we can make
headway.
Chris

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAPEpGM9%3D0iPJA-JHAfRtf0s1FLZEcRkL_j5En4y1nD584658kQ%40mail.gmail.com.
  • Propo... Paolo Melchiorre
    • ... Christopher Jones
    • ... Jörg Breitbart
      • ... Tom Carrick
        • ... Mariusz Felisiak
          • ... Paolo Melchiorre
            • ... Carlton Gibson
              • ... 'Lily Foote' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
              • ... David Sanders
    • ... Carsten Fuchs