2010/8/2 Nick Arnett <nick.arn...@gmail.com>:
> I'm thinking that I could get a pretty good performance improvement on a
> couple of tables by moving their LONGTEXT columns into their own tables.
> Just wondering if there's anybody here who has done something like that - is
> there a way to do this transparently to Django, so I don't have to re-write
> every piece of code that uses those tables.
>
> In other words, I'm looking at vertical partitioning, but only across
> tables, not databases, as transparently as possible to the code that I've
> already written.

My first thought would be to backup the database, then put the project
under South control. Then create a one-to-one relation between models
and the possible create a upgrade script.
Then, if necessary, you could create properties in the original model
to map the names you have in your application.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Antoni Aloy López
Blog: http://trespams.com