I just tried it:

DATABASES = {
    'default': {
        'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.sqlite3',
#  TODO restore        'NAME': ':memory:',
        'NAME': '/home/phlip/fun.db',
        'USER': '',
        'PASSWORD': '',
        'HOST': '',
        'PORT': '',
    }
}

Yes that's in my test_settings, yes I'm using "python manage.py test --
settings=test_settings", and no I can't find that in the home folder.

If I create models in a setUp(), and if the tests use transactions
around each case, doesn't that mean the transaction would roll the
objects back to nothing, providing test isolation, but at least the
file itself would stick around? Or is :memory: somehow defaulted in,
there?

--
  Phlip
  http://zeekland.zeroplayer.com/