If you need to run tasks outside the request/response cycle, then you
should be using celery.

http://celeryproject.org/

Celery includes something called periodic tasks.
http://ask.github.com/celery/userguide/periodic-tasks.html

You just need to make a task that updates the value in cache, and then
set it to run with a schedule=timedelta(minutes=3) (or schedule=60*3).

Hope that helps!
Alex