I would like to understand the "formula" for splitting a monolithic models.py into ./models/<classname>.py files.

Can someone point to somewhere in the docs or source which sets out the logic?

I have three apps in a project and one has a models.py with 18 models and various 1:n and n:m relationships with data-carrying "through" tables.

I wrote a script to split everything up and add the appropriate import lines to each models .py file. That worked but only after quoting some model names in relationships and specifically importing unquoted modelnames in others.

I would love to improve that script so it will work for the other apps.

I'll contribute it back if I get it working.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Mike