> I suggest that you use Celery.

A very useful tip!

> If people are making HTTP requests of you, that is reason enough to choose
> Django.

Well, let me put it this way; I felt in love with Python almost 7 years
ago, but when I met Django, this love turned into an obsession you see; I
had been programming database applications for over 35 years, never paying
attention to a "strange" programming language "named after a snake" :D But
not only that; it "comes" with LOTS of web frameworks that make sense to
me,and treats DBMS with respect ... a match made in heaven!!

Just for the record, I have programmed in many languages over the years and
never felt like this about any of them. Any PHP framework is out of the
question for me; I can read and understand the code; but just the whole
concept of PHP makes me want to puke (literally ... seriously); spaghetti
code, dozens of functions that do almost the same thng, or dozens of names
for the same function .... No thanks, I pass!

> But do not wait for long calculations to complete before returning an HTTP
> result.  Instead redirect to a page containing simple JavaScript that will
> poll for a result.

As I said before, a DUH! moment ... or is it a senior moment ... I'm
starting to get worried here.

I can assure you that this works well on Linux (you don't mention the
> platform).  I have not used Celery (or Django, for that matter) on Windows
> or Mac, but I'll bet that it runs fine, modulo the usual surprises about
> file system differences and the way that Windows processes are "special".

I'm indeed using Linux; I'm not exactly a big fan of Windoze; have never
been, though I started to feel more respect towards ir with the 8.1
version. It really is a more robust OS ... I come from the dark ages of
CPM->UNIX->DOS->WINDOWS and then I met Linux.

> Pretty much you just code in Python.  The exception is startup scripts to
> boot time start/manage  the celery works, Apache/nginx front end for
> Django, and any additional required communications processes.  I guess
> there is also that small JavaScript to poll for a result.

Don't mean to start yet another heated discussion on web server preferences
and trust me, I've done my research comparing Apache Vs NGINX, and I still
feel this is one of the toughest decisions we will have to make ... I
kind'a like NGINX, but its like the words "heavy duty" and "robust" can
only be mentioned when you talk about Apache.

Many, many thanks for your input!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/7d4ea14b-cf66-45a0-9634-e72e73748cff%40googlegroups.com.