> I'm building an e-commerce system and at the moment working on making the
> products easily searchable.  But when I use a __range lookup, in some
> cases

I'm sorry I can't help you with your request but I thought I'd point out
that there is a project called Satchmo that aims to build an ecommerce
framework.  It may not meet all your needs but at least take a look and
see if there's anything you can leverage.

Here's the main site - http://www.satchmoproject.com

Good luck,
Chris