Ah ha! I just looked through my settings.py file and noticed the setting:
SITE_ID = 1
I decided to double check the raw data for the django_sites table and my
site id is '2'. (I think id 1 used to be 'example.com' but I had deleted it
instead of renaming it, thus creating a mismatch with SITE_ID). Once I
changed the SITE_ID value everything started working. I deleted the item
from urlpatterns, and you're right, it's unnecessary. Thanks for attempting
to get me sorted out.

Cheers,
John-Scott.