Hi all

Nis Jørgensen wrote:
> The argument to HttpResponseRedirect is a url. You seem to be confusing
> it with a template.

OK I can do this:

        code ....
        # some error occurs
        message = 'You have ... tell admin that ....'
        return HttpResponseRedirect('error/')

and have in views.py

def error(request, message):
{
   return render_to_response('error_page.html', {'message':message})
}

But how to get the message into error() without passing it as a GET?

> If you want to display different content, you need
> to pass a different url or (not recommended) store the data you want to
> display, then display it to the user at the new url

> But if you have the data available, there is no reason to do a redirect.
> Just render the error message etc to the relevant template, then return
> that to the user.

Why I dont want to pass it like this ?message='You have ... tell admin that
....'
is that its long and if the error is something like main?delete=100 but the
user cant
delete that id then a Redirect goes to a nice clean valid URL.
A render_to_response leaves the incorrect URL in the browser.

Mike