I am not using new forms... but I'm assuming you would make this a
text field... with a link next to it that says something like 'view
existing entries'

Then when a user clicks that, you could do one of the following:

1. Display a ldiv with a list of all entries, and make it so that when
the user scrolls through the list and clicks on one, it closes the
div, and sets the text in the entry box ( if you need the ID of what
is selected... you could do this in an invisible form field ).

2. Display a search box, then post a form submit back to the same
page, with parameters set so that it comes back with matching results
displayed, each as a link to hide the div and set form variables as
described above.

3. Display a search box, and use AJAX to pull back the matching
results, with a list displaying matching results, each as a link to