Getting there.

It's not setting the logged in as yes as it's not logging me in :-)

This conditional in the login function in views

if request.POST:

is not getting a positive and it's falling through to the else which is
setting errors to blank

else:
        print 'balls'
        errors = {}
    request.session.set_test_cookie()
    return render_to_response(template_name, {
        'form': oldforms.FormWrapper(manipulator, request.POST, errors),
        'matts_back_to': redirect_to,

        'site_name': Site.objects.get_current().name,
    }, context_instance=RequestContext(request))

which then throws me back to the page without logging me in at all, I can
put any old rubbish into that form.
I think I somehow need to make this part of the secured views do what I
need, really not sure though.

return HttpResponseRedirect("/accounts/login")