I've done that, and it's not hard, but there's quite a few good js
datepickers out there, and on my most recent one I used one of
those.... gives me a bit more control over how I want it to look on
the public-facing part, and I'm not making 5 http calls to do it.

Here's the one I went with:
http://www.frequency-decoder.com/demo/date-picker-v2/

And again, it's just adding a class to the input.