I've checked in a first pass at the lowest layer of the architecture:
the queue and send loop, don't send list and log.

http://code.google.com/p/django-mailer/

It doesn't actually send email at the moment, just tells you it's
done so, but it's enough to show how the bottom layer works.

I've also, at the request of a couple of people, set up a Google
group. I'll move design discussions there (so join if you want to
participate) but give occasional updates here.

http://groups.google.com/group/django-mailer

James