I've got a project where I need to build a public wiki for some
community websites. The main requirement is that the functionality be
similar to Mediawiki since many people are familiar with the way that
software works.

Does anyone know if a project like this has been undertaken? Would
anyone be interested in helping develop it? Would anyone be interested
in using it if it was released as a contrib app?

(Before anyone asks why I'm reinventing the wheel, I don't use PHP
anymore, I don't have PHP installed on my production servers, and I
want to use a common authentication system that is already in place
with my very large Django project)