I didn't dig deeper last night because I was "getting things done" and
it was easier to just export the environment and move on.  Looking
harder at the traceback I noticed it was getting hung up on my putting
stuff in the project's __init__.py file which was importing things
from Django.  It looks like a chicken and egg problem if I do that.

"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and
then I ate his leg."  -- Beastie Boys

-Rob