Hmm.  It works in shell for me, I'm not sure what the difference might
be.  It only keeps _original_data for the life of the instance, so if
the view completes, the next view is a different instance.  You could
make a pickle field to persist it, if you wanted to keep track of the
changed values.

In [2]: m=cm.MarketingStatus(marketing_status_name="Test Name",
marketing_status_description="Testing signals")
In [3]: m.save()
In [4]: m.marketing_status_name="Changed this"
In [5]: m.marketing_status_name
Out[5]: 'Changed this'
In [6]: m._original_data['marketing_status_name']
Out[6]: 'Test Name'

I added a couple print statements to print testing and testing 2 in
the save method:

In [2]: m=cm.MarketingStatus.objects.all()[0]
In [3]: m.marketing_status_name = "changed again"
In [4]: m.save()
testing: Test Name
testing2: changed again

----- using this code ----
def backup_model_data(sender, instance, signal, *args, **kwargs):
     instance._original_data = instance.__dict__.copy()

class MarketingStatus(models.Model):
    marketing_status_id = models.AutoField(primary_key=True)
    marketing_status_name = models.CharField(blank=True, maxlength=30)
    marketing_status_description =
models.CharField(blank=True,maxlength=255)

    def save(self):
        testing =self._original_data['marketing_status_name']
        testing2 = self.marketing_status_name
        print "testing: %s" % testing
        print "testing2: %s" % testing2
        super(MarketingStatus, self).save()

dispatcher.connect(backup_model_data,signal=signals.post_init,sender=MarketingStatus)