Hi all,

I have a model which needs some non-standard checks before it gets saved.
The class looks like this :

class Page(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(maxlength=30)
    content = models.TextField()
    start_date = models.DateField()
    end_date = models.DateField()

When I save the model, I want to check that there is no other page with
the same name that has an overlapping start and end date, and cause some
kind of validation error that the admin area will display.

I have tried the following :

    def save(self):
        # check for the overlap happens here
        # if the check fails...
        raise validators.ValidationError(_("A page with this name
already exists in the time period specified"))

However, the admin area does not catch the exception. I've looked
through the djangobook which references a chapter that isn't there yet,
and the online documentation points to a .validate() on the model which
is marked as experimental. If it's possible, where can I put custom
validation like that, that the admin area will pick up on? I'm currently
using 0.96 but could easily upgrade to the svn trunk if needed.

Thanks for any help,

Mike