On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 10:18 -0400, Marty Alchin wrote:
> I've done some work on FileField lately that address some of your concerns.
>
> On 10/16/07, Mark Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > * does django properly sanitize the filename or rather, use
> >   safe temp files?  i wonder what would happen if i tried to
> >   upload a file called "../../traverse.txt"?
>
> I haven't done any testing on that particular situation, so I can't
> speak to that one.

well, i guess i'll give it a shot and report to the list
if there are problems.

> > * how can i enforce a filename on the uploaded file?
> >   i want to completely ignore the remote name of the file
> >   and instead store it as, for example, {{username}}.jpg
>
> There's a ticket[1] in Trac to revamp the way file storage is defined,
> which would allow you to override some of how Django selects a
> filename. Currently, it won't allow you to use the username, or any
> other details of the model the image is attached to, but that's
> becoming a common request, so I'll see about adding it before it hits
> trunk.

interesting!
i can only second that common request. ;)
any idea when it will be done?

> > * anyone know if the PIL stuff is hardened against image bombs?
> >   (small images that expand to gigabytes when expanded to bitmap)
> >   would it be feasible to subclass ImageFile and replace the PIL
> >   calls with some paranoid homegrown stuff (i.e. ImageMagick),
> >   anyone know a starting point for this?
>
> The ticket I mentioned above also makes it much easier to subclass
> FileField and ImageField to add or change whatever functionality you
> like. I don't know whether PIL already does what you need, but if
> you're paranoid, this patch should help you out.

awesome. i know it's probably a fairly exotic request but
since my site deals heavily with images i can imagine some
customization might pay off (security- or performancewise).

thanks for the info!

-mark