On 01-Nov-07, at 2:25 PM, Ivan Sagalaev wrote:

> Ah... So this is what you called "ascii cannot decode etc" in your
> original post? This is an absolutely different issue that has
> nothing to
> do with Python's default usage of ascii for decoding or even Django's
> unicode internals.
>
> What happens here is your Postgres database is configured to store
> data
> in Latin 1 encoding. Thus it just cannot store any non-ascii
> characters,
> including that curly single quote. If you want to do this you have to
> either encode your data manually into something containing only ascii
> characters (like using \u0000 or � escapes) or just convert the
> database to be in a more capable encoding (any unicode that that
> version
> of Postgres would support).

this has opened a whole can of worms. The site in question is by
nature a mulitilingual site with matter in several Indian languages.
The database was unicode. There is a trac attached to the site, also
with a unicode database. And both the trac db and the site db (both
postgres) were accepting non-ascii characters until recently.I looked
today and found that *all* the non-ascii stuff entered over the past
nearly two years looked like junk. I now checked and found that all
these databases show encoding as Latin1. I am 99% sure that they were
unicode before, as I have been making my databases as unicode for the
past 5-6 years. I had done a dist-upgrade from sarge to etch
recently, and the problems seem to have started there. But I find it
difficult to believe that a dist-upgrade would change encoding of the
database. The dist-upgrade also changed python from 2.3.5 to 2.4. I
now backed up the database, changed the encoding and restored it, and
it is now accepting everything. Anyway, thanks for making me check
again.

--

regards
kg