OK, I attempted to install patch 2070, and failed miserably, messing
up /core/handlers/modpython.py among other things. When I realized I
had done so, I tried updating and then reinstalling django to get back
to a clean install. Now everything is broken. Most of the broken seems
to relate to template tags and filters.

several templatetags no longer show up at all in the admin docs. It's
as though they're no longer valid for some reason. These are pretty
simple tags, too.
Others show up in admin, but when I try to use them I get "invalid
block tag"
And then there's thumbnails, which insists TypeError: make_thumbnail()
keywords must be strings, but I'm passing it as a string, exactly as I
always have.