On 12/21/07, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In the early days of Django, Adrian, Simon et al looked at that. It
> wasn't worth it, since, in the grand scheme of things, template caching
> and checking the cache wasn't that much faster than loading and parsing,
> particularly in the overall response time of a request (of which
> template parsing is a relatively small component). Adding complexity for
> minimal gain isn't usually a good idea. Unless this is a universal win,
> it would be better to write it as a third-party template loader. It's
> fairly easy to write a template loader that takes another template
> loader as a parameter and just wraps caching around it and that keeps
> the core code cleaner.

I wonder if the template system has become a bit more complex since
then.  I also wonder if whatever tests they used included things like
includes in for loops.  I tend to think that the filesystem is slow
and anything to remove FS calls and shove things in memory is a good
thing -- especially something that could potentially be in a for loop.
 Obviously there are trade-offs as you mention but the patch didn't
look that complex to me -- actually it was surprisingly straight
forward.

I've considered applying this patch and testing against a project I'm
working on.  Maybe that would help prove to either Django or me that
this is or isn't worth it.

Thanks,
-Rob