I think, In a lot of old code, _ was automatically imported as
ugettext, while the newer code explicitly imports it as
from django.utils.translation import ugettext_lazy as _
Might be when you are running fastcgi, you are hitting some path
where, _ is not imported, while under mod_python, you are hitting
paths where they are defined.

(All this is just a guess.)