> I read there:
> from django.shortcuts import render_to_response
> from mysite.polls.model import Poll
> def index(request):
>    latest_poll_list = Poll.objects.all()
>   &c.
>
> What is 'latest_poll_list'? I assume it is a list, but a list of what?
> Records? Can I cycle through that list (for X in latest_poll_list...)
> and are the items in the list then again lists that contain the field
> data?

Yes, you can indeed. It's actually not a list, but a QuerySet that
functions as an iterator, so you can happily iterate you way through
it in either the views or the templates:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/db-api/#retrieving-all-objects
The individual items are not lists, but objects, related to your
models (there's a reason the syntax is 'Poll.objects.all()').
(In part, this is why the Python shell, started through manage.py, is
so handy: you can try out things and see what works and what not.)

I would advise you to go through the tutorial until you feel you
understand it well enough, and anything you don't understand, try and
find it in the documentation. Particularly important to read through
are Models section (the first 3 items), the template guide for HTML
programmers, and the newforms library (assuming you're using the SVN
version). Other interesting parts are the 'URL configuration' and
'Request and response objects'. At least, that's my experience.
It's all there, although it may take some searching to find it. Google
helps, and there's a Google search box right on the docs page for that
purpose.

Btw, records don't exist in Python, not with that terminology; and if
you think of lists that contain lists with field data, you may need to
understand the general Python stuff first. In particular the section
on classes: http://docs.python.org/tut/node11.html (but reading *and
doing* the whole tutorial doesn't hurt, really).