On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On 31-Mar-08, at 9:58 AM, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
>
> > Sorry this is two weeks late (it's been a bear of a two weeks), but
> > I use Django with high school students who've done the equivalent
> > of a year of college programming--the AP Computer Science AB
> > curriculum.
>
> what age would these students be?

16- 18. Most are going to university next fall, but a few have one more year
of high school.

> > You have to be careful and you have to lead students by the nose,
> > making sure that students get HTML and basic concepts of databases,
> > but Django is a great way to get a class working together on a
> > project.
>
> do you use version control and teach them to use it? How are they at
> finding solutions through the docs, mailing lists and IRC?

Yes, we use version control and we've all kind of learned how to use it
together. Our SVN repository has seen some "interesting" merges. I think we
finally have a handle on how it's supposed to work, though.

They're pretty good at the docs, but have mostly stayed away from the list
and IRC. When they hit a problem and the more advanced students and I can't
figure it out either, I tend to post a question to the list or ask on IRC
myself.

Todd