Sorry, I have been very burnt out after PyCon.
We set up google group here:
http://groups.google.com/group/django-survey/

I just updated the project home page with the information.

The problem you are having with the checkbox, is due to not knowing
how to add choices using the admin.
The admin is an awful data entry mechanism for entering in cross model
data.
We need to add survey creation forms.

Thanks for your bug report with the patch!
I will try to get back to this in the next few days, but I also need
to archive off the 2008 pycon site, launch the pycon 2009 site and get
the code set up for two other conferences.
If you are interested, I can give you access to work on the survey
project. There are 4 other people working on it currently.
Richard House is working on a massive overhaul to the model structure
in a branch to allow for more complex question types, question groups
and tying choices to models via generic relations.

    -Doug