Hi,

I've implemented a backend to let users authenticate with their email
instead of their username, and that works quite well. However, for
security and piece of mind I'd like to:

1) Make sure that emails are unique. According to the thread [1]
there's no straight forward solution other than patching Django, and I
hate patching Django. But maybe since that thread there's been new
features allowing to do that without patch?

http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/8712e5bc0fc84483/12e9b40eee24bff1

2) Generate usernames automatically, since they're not really used
anymore but can't stay blank. For example, automatically setting a new
user name to "user_8371" if 8371 is the user id. How could I do that,
since the User class is built in Django?

Thanks for your help!

Julien

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/8712e5bc0fc84483/12e9b40eee24bff1