Hey gang;

Wow a lotof people are all having the same problem. Somehow the conversation
I had with the original poster got taken off the list. Here is the next
message I sent:

chmod would change the permissions, but hede a little caution here; opening
up your home directory allows everyone to get inside there. This might not
be an issue with your server if you don't have anyone on it who you might
not be able to trust, but it isn't a bad idea to get in the right habits
here.

What I would recommend if you are a web developer, is to add yourself to the
group www-data. So in a shell punch in usermod -a -G www-data webmastr (I am
assuming webmastr is your linux login name here). This will let you just
give permissions to people in your group instead of everyone. Then go back
to /home/webmastr/ and type chmod 750 -r public_html . This will give your
full read-write-executable access to the files (7), your group including
www-data read-execute permissions (5) and everyone else no permissions (0).

Hopefully that will get your django install to work. If you want to learn
more about linux permissions look here:
http://www.freeos.com/articles/3127/or do a search for ubuntu
permissions. There are tons of resourses. Let me
know how that works,

Then it became clear that he didn't own that file and I told him to look
into 'chown' to own the file.

There are four parts to an django site you need to remember exist when
setting it up. You need a media root, where files are served directly by
apache. I always use /media/ as an example. Then you need a project folder
that is where you put all of you python files. The important file here is
settings.py because it tells mod_python (the apache module for python) what
to load and that is how django starts up. The third part is a templates
directory, which is where all the django templates go. The last part is the
SQL we won't get into that here. The media and the templates folders need to
be defined by you inside of settings.py. Apache (generally www-data) should
be given permission to read and execute these files.

You should make sure django is in your python path. This is simple open up a
python shell and type 'import django'. make sure your project is in a python
path. This is done with the PythonPath in the config file. Other than that
read up on how apache configuration works and the django and mod_python docs
work. I promise they all work on Ubuntu without problems.

Here is an example VirtualHost that I have included from my main apache.conf
file: http://dpaste.com/43421/

I hope that helps you all:

Michael