I talked with a couple of folks at PyCon about using GeoDjango for my
app. I am working on getting all the pieces installed, but frankly, I
am completely overwhelmed by all the terminology.

My use case is this:
My app creates a trip which as a lat/lng pair as a starting point and
a lat/lng pair as an ending point. What I would like to do is let a
user into a location in for the start, end, or both.

The system would then show them trips which have start, end, or both
points in common with the locations they have entered in the search.
"In common" being defined as within a radius of say 100 miles or so.

I don't need great precision with the radius or search, so anything
within a mile or so of precision is more than enough.

So, with that in mind, I have two questions:
1) Can GeoDjango help me with this?
2) What part of GeoDjango should I look at first to try to accomplish
this?

I guess I should mention that I am not new to Django or Python, but
GIS stuff is foreign to me for now.

Thanks!

Alex Ezell