On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 3:05 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've read the caching documentation several times, but must be missing
> some fine points. If I have
> CACHE_MIDDLEWARE_ANONYMOUS_ONLY = True
> set, does per-view or template fragment caching override that?

If you have CacheMiddleware enabled, and you have
CACHE_MIDDLEWARE_ANONYMOUS_ONLY = True in your settings file, then:

* Assuming you don't use any other caching mechanisms of any sort,
caching only occurs for anonymous users.
* If you apply the cache_page decorator to a specific view, the
caching performed by that decorator only occurs for anonymous users.
* If you use the {% cache %} tag in a template, the caching occurs for
all users in all situations regardless of anonymous status.
* If you use the low-level cache.get()/cache.set() API, the caching
occurs for all users in all situations regardless of anonymous status.

Basically, this means that when you single out a small fragment of
template or Python code and use the fine-grained caching mechanisms,
Django assumes you've got a good reason for doing so and know better
than it does that you want to cache.