On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:54 PM, meppum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> With the query refactoring branch being merged to the trunk I wanted
> to finally move some of the data I had put on my user profiles to a
> derrived user model. I didn't see this mentioned in the documentation
> and I wanted to know if this is possible now? Will the admin tool pick
> up new fields?

The admin interface does not currently support inheritance; support is
planned in newforms-admin, slated to merge to trunk within the next
couple of months.

In the meantime, subclassing User to add fields offers no performance
advantage whatsoever over using a related model, because the
subclassing is implemented under the hood as a related table with a
foreign key back to the parent class. In many cases it also offers
little conceptual advantage, because the great majority of things
people typically do with user profiles have little or nothing to do
with user authentication.