On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Elizabeth Kellner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> The full python traceback is missing from my apache logs.  In fact,
> I've just seen that the only notification of a 500 error is in
> access_log and the browser.  Can anyone suggest any place to look to
> see why this is the case?
>
> Here is the python view that I am using to test...
> def view500(request):
>    "Throws a server 500 error for testing"
>
>    msg = "Test 500 error.  This is not a real malfunction"
>    logging.error(msg)
>    raise MyRequestException(msg)
>
> My apache error_log says...
> [Tue Jul 01 14:01:33 2008] [notice] Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8
> OpenSSL/0.9.7l mod_python/3.3.1 Python/2.5.1 configured -- resuming
> normal operations
> licenseserver: [2008-07-01 07:01:35,084 10.10.20.38 iAt9asypuEk root
> ERROR] Test 500 error.  This is not a real malfunction
>
> I receive my rendered 500.html template in the browser.
>
> (One potentially funky thing I must mention is that I am using the
> drlog middleware (http://www.fairviewcomputing.com/blog/2008/03/05/
> django-request-logging/<http://www.fairviewcomputing.com/blog/2008/03/05/django-request-logging/>),
> but I tried commenting it out from my
> MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES, and the problem persists.  The log message changes
> format, but still no traceback.  I doubt this is the cause.)
>
> I'm running Django trunk, revision 7629, on Mac OS X Leopard.

I think this is normal.  The only time I recall seeing tracebacks in the
Apache logs is for errors that Django didn't successfully "handle", that is
things like a missing 500.html template -- stuff that causes an exception to
get thrown out to mod_python/Apache and causes its error handling to get
involved.  Django's method for 'recording' the traceback is to send it in an
email to the IDs listed in ADMINS in settings.py,.

Karen