> Have you tested the suggestion above with someone who is not sshed into
> the box, because if it is just the remote user of the app you want, you
> really don't want to be doing '/usr/bin/ who' because that will return
> the users sshed onto the box (and *not* the users logged into the web
> app via your authentication system!).
>
> I am basically doing what you are (authenticating against LDAP), and the
> way you can access the remote user is request.META['AUTHENTICATE_UID'].
> I am not even using the django auth.User stuff for basic web app usage
> (since the user must be authenticated already, I just look to see who
> they are), only for the admin stuff. Only a very small number of people
> will be using the admin site so I am not to bothered about them having
> to log in again (although if there is an easy way of passing credentials
> across I could use that!).
>
> HTH,
> Emily

Hey. I haven't had a chance of testing it yet but it sounds like your
method is the one i am looking for :)
The thing is, i am not very good with server stuff (i am sure you have
figured this out already) ;-)
But as i wrote in my last post. The user logs onto the server using
the username and password stored in the active directory. This is
required before they can access anything on the server.
After they pass the login they are redirected to my django app, where
i would like to avoid having them to log in again.
so all i really need is the username of the user logging in to the
server, so that i can (in the background) log them in to the django
app.

When it comes to the admin part of my django app they will have to use
a separate username and password. This is not a problem however since
this will be 2 or 3 users at the most.

I hope this made it more clear? :-)

but Emily??
Do you think your method will work on debian linux, and do i need to
import something extra in order to get it to work?

thank you

/Pete