On Aug 21, 4:42 pm, Brandon Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a column, 'position', which is a PositiveIntegerField, to allow
> my end-user to order records with. I would like to pre-populate the
> field when creating a new record, with the count of the model objects
> + 1.
>
> The models documentation says 'default' can be a value or a callable,
> but using self.objects.count() + 1 doesn't work, because 'self' hasn't
> been defined.
>
> Can anyone point me to an example of how I can accomplish this?
>
> TIA,
> Brandon

'self.objects.count() + 1' isn't a callable, it's an expression, which
you can't use here. (A callable is a function object, or a class with
__call__ defined.)
However, unfortunately even a callable probably wouldn't help you
here, as the implementation calls it without any parameters. It's
really just for things like inserting the current time, which doesn't
need parameters. See
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/models/field_defaults/

You can achieve what you want by overwriting save() on the model:

def save(self):
    if not self.position:
        self.position = self.objects.count() + 1
    super(YourClassName, self).save()

--
DR.