What's the best way to use MEDIA_URL in a CSS file. For example, right
now my CSS file has something like:

body {
  background: transparent url('/media/images/bg.gif') repeat;
}

I would like to use MEDIA_URL instead of /media/ (in a number of
places), but other than that the file is static. What's the best way
to do this? Should I templatize the whole thing? What type of a
performance change will I see (approximately)?

Thanks.