According to the Python Coding Guidelines you should always put the
imports at the top of a file simply because it makes the file more
readable. Performance-wise there are AFAIK some small
speed-ramifications (negative ones) when putting imports into a
function instead of having them at the module level. My guess would
be, that this has something to do with the compile-time vs. runtime
issue, not to mention that the import-statement isn't really free. On
the other hand memory usage should be lower if you only import
something if it's really needed (say: inside of a view-function). I
haven't really run any benchmarks, though.

You might want to take a look at
http://www.szgti.bmf.hu/harp/python/fastpython.html :-)

- Horst