I have spent hours looking in the docs and one this list for an answer
to this problem:

I have a model that has, for example, 20 fields.

On my site's homepage, where I'd like to offer a preview version of
the object, I'd need to retrieve only say, half of those fields to be
displayed.

My dilemma is whether to simply use a Model.objects.all() query and
ignore the unnecessary data in the template, or find a more efficient
way to call only the data I need.

Perhaps my model design is flawed and I should separate out the data
that is not common to the list and detail version of the content, or
perhaps I should have a model method that returns only the data fields
I need, etc.

Forgive me, as I'm very new to this, but I'm stumped. Any suggestions
would be gratefully received.