I'm doing some testruns on Django to find out how it fits me. Until
now: Just great. But - as always - there are some problems you
encounter when you are inexperienced with a specific framework. I've
some Problems at the moment with the built-in Django authentification.
I'm not sure if I'm just not able to find the information in the docs
or if it is just absent.

Problem: A user reaches the website and sees (besides some public
stuff like news) a small login area. In this area he should be able to
login. After that - if the input was correct - the same site should be
displayed again but for example with a little text in the login area
like "Logged in as, USERNAME - [logout button]" instead of the login
input fields. But if for example the password didn't match the
username the site reloads and an error message gets printed. After the
user logs out there should be the login inputs again for re-
authenticating. This login area should always be visible (with the
correct data... login inputs if not logged in and logout button etc if
logged in). I know that django normally likes to work with URL-changes
but in this case there wouldn't even be a POST request when the user
loads the site in the beginning.

This way of authenticating feels just right for me - I got used to it
surfing the internet. That's why I would like to copy that behaviour.
I know this question is not very specific but I can't express it
better. The point is: Is it possible to get such behaviour and still
using the views from django.contrib.auth? I spent hours searching the
web for an answer to that or a small tutorial how to use the builtin
django auth application to get such behaviour (global area - always
knowing if the user is logged in or not logged in and showing
appropriate options / information) but couldn't find anything that
helped me. If someone could supply a small list what to do and where
to search I'm sure I would get it working myself. So you don't have to
support me with out-of-the-box completely functionning code.

I hope I pointed the problem out and my english wasn't too bad.

Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts on this!